Saturday, January 8, 2011

The First Seven Days

It's been a week since the big day---New Years Day--the day to make all those resolutions that you are likely to break. Well, my only resolution this year was to clear a path through the past and break into the future. No definition or criteria for the goal, just try to shake off the old habits and re-energize with possiblities for the future.

I have to say that in the last seven days I've been amazed at how making little changes can have a big impact. One is merely changing locations. I used to have a habit of planting myself in the living room with my morning coffee and laptop and staying there through the morning news, the Early Show and even (sometimes) the local talk show at 10:30 a.m. There I was, still in my bathrobe with half the morning gone. I still enjoy a cup of coffee while going through emails and texting my daughter at the start of our days, but I now get dressed, and move my work area to the kitchen table. Instead of the TV, I've found several music stations on cable that I enjoy, and without the distraction of the TV, I find the music frees both my focus and creativity. It's also amazing to find that just those few extra hours in the morning has done wonders for my productivity. This may not sound like a revelation to those of you who have it all together, but to my sisters-in-bathrobes, it is monumental.

Another thing I decided to do was to go back to Weight Watchers. You can always count on WW to have a new plan each year, and being a Lifer, I can get the books for the price of $13 and a hop on the scale. I stayed for the meeting, bought their digital scale and the points calculator. I find that if I make an investment, I am more likely to follow through for a longer period of time. Well, that scale is the greatest thing to hit the kitchen and my sense of reality. I have used scales before, but the manual kind that I could play with. Not so when the numbers are staring you in the face. What I learned was part of the reason I haven't been able to lose weight is that I have been eating twice the amount of food than I thought I was! I can't believe that the little blot of ice cream in the pyrex cup was a half cup! I have been eating at least three times that much for a serving. Let's not even talk about potato chips! The great thing about WW is that no food is verboten; you just have to watch portion sizes. Well, this past week has been an education in reality--and so far I have lost three pounds, still eating potato chips and ice cream (now in the proper proportions) every day.

The other thing I did was to buy a simple planner. I went to Staples and passed up the fancy Day Runner with all its pockets and extra sections, leather covers, etc. I found a monthly/weekly planner with a black cover for about $13.00 and spent a few hours putting my life in order. All my appointments, notes, phone numbers, etc., are in there. No searching around in my Blackberry and emails (two accounts) to find that message that has the date for that board meeting next week. I love the physical act of writing things down and then crossing them off after they are completed. Retro chic that works

.

Now none of the things that I did last week were earth shaking or revolutionary, but they have made an impact on my last seven days. Today and tomorrow I am taking a class at SCAD on how to set up a crafts business, another foot forward into the future. I am reviving my crafts acumen from the past and melding it with my daughter's creativity and fashion design talents to launch a children's fashion/accessory business online.

What a difference a week can make.

No comments: