Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Looking ahead to 2009

Here it is, the 30th of December. Time to reflect on 2008, almost "the past" and look forward to 2009. A new year, fresh start, new book with clean pages, clean slate...all those cliches that we buy into that give us hope that this next year, things will be different, better different.

On December 31, I pull out the envelope where I put last year's the New Year's Resolutions, open them up, and see how I did. Hmmmm. As I read the list, I am at times disappointed, amused, bewildered, angry, and resigned. Sometimes, one has actually been achieved. I'm a much better resolver than completer. That doesn't deter me from repeating the exercise for the next year. Undeterred, and always optomistic, I begin again. One year, after not making progress on a single item, I merely crossed out the year at the top of the page and put in the next year.

I always make New Years Resolutions. December 31, I take out the yellow legal pad (great expectations) and begin. #1 is always a repeat (except for 1997), "lose 20 lbs.) Then follows a litany of great expectations, such as "write book, remember everyone's birthday with card or call, make $1 million, be on 'Oprah" with new book, etc.)

One thing about making resolutions, is that making them isn't the thing. They say writing things down make them more likely to be achieved, like goals. I have found that writing them is helpful, but actually DOING them is what makes the difference. I learned the same thing over many years of buying the latest diet books when they hit the market. Buying the books isn't the key. Knowing what to do and why it works (or doesn't) to take off the pounds isn't enough. Actually cutting those calories, getting off your butt and walking or working out is what makes the numbers on the scale decrease. Knowing all the "secrets" and "surefire tips" to losing weight isn't enough. You do much better by putting knowledge to action. 1997 was proof of that...actually lost those 20 lbs!

This year, I'm going to add something to my resolutions. A start date, and a completion date. I'm going to take my own advice (that I give to my audiences in training and speaking) and use action words, set timelines and deadlines. Quantify results. Set milestones. This time the resolutions are not going to go in a sealed envelope, but hang on the wall over my PC in the office for all to see. They will even go in this blog. And not make so many. Too many resolutions are discouraging, since many are not achieved. With a shorter list, more likelihood that the percentage of success will be greater.

Hope springs eternal. There is always a new beginning. Why do we wait until New Year's Day to do it? Every day, every moment can be a new beginning from the previous one. Tomorrow when I make the short list for 2009, one of the resolutions will be to begin again every day. Falling short one day doesn't mean failure, just an opportunity to pick up again the next day.

What will you resolve this year? More money, better education, lose some weight, connect with family and friends? Write it down, share it with someone, and don't be discouraged. You've got a year to get it together and make some progress. They say if you don't have a plan, you will be at the mercy of someone who does. Make your own plan and work it in 2009. And remember to have some fun while you're doing it.

Happy New Year!

No comments: